Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Ireland - June 26


Well, the cold that the other 3 girls on my team had finally made its way to me.  I woke up this morning feeling wiped out with a sore throat/glands and a stuffy nose.  Blech.  We are also pretty sure that the last occupants of our room ignored the “no smoking” sign, and left behind significant evidence in the air – which probably didn’t help with the stuffed-up part.  But despite being gray there was no rain as we headed off for our last day at Wavebob, so I took in a couple of extra breaths of fresh air!  We finished up the last additions to our Chile presentation, researched the 3 items requested for Japan, and just barely started outlining information for our leader study.  We’re not really sure when we’re going to get that beast done, but at least we have all the information gathering done now that the interviews are finished. 

We were tired today, and it showed.  I personally am not nearly as productive when I’m exhausted, so I feel like I didn’t accomplish as much as I normally do.  Which is understandable, considering the circumstances.  I’m not feeling well and just want to go to bed so I probably won’t write much today, but I was reflecting a little bit on some things while combing through all the raw interview data we have for our leader study.  Being a leader is hard.  Most people want to be the leader because they want to be in charge and because it can seem glamorous.  But there are an awful lot of unglamorous aspects of leadership that unfortunately, many people seem to ignore or skip over.  Surrounding yourself with people who are not like you – who are strong where you aren’t – isn’t always fun because they will push back.  Fostering healthy debate and taking the time to listen to people respectfully isn’t always natural.  Taking risks can lead to failure. Leading change (a constant requirement of leaders) among those who don’t want it can be exhausting.  Picking up the pieces that drop, or rather, making sure none do, and supporting growth among staff can be, well, tedious. 

BUT good leaders are desperately needed, and when found, can drastically change a company for the better.  The attitude and actions of one person in a position of leadership really can make all the difference in the world.  And a “position of leadership” isn’t necessarily defined by job title.  A leader is simply someone who inspires others toward action – or, as I’ve heard before, someone who has followers.  A hamburger flipper at McDonald’s could be more of a leader than the CEO of a company.  It really is more a matter of attitude.  Let me never forget that as long as there is one other person around, I am in a potential position of leadership and have the opportunity to inspire someone toward something better.  What will I do with those opportunities?  Hopefully use them a little more wisely now. 

Am I a good leader?  Will I ever be?  I don’t know.  But I want to be, and I feel like I’m more aware of what that entails – so maybe that’s half the battle.  Or at least part of it. 

It can be hard.  But it can be done, and from what I’ve seen and experienced, it is so very worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment