Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Two are Better than One

Having a partner in life expands one's horizons. For instance, last Saturday Bryan and I went (thanks Lee!) to Boettcher Concert Hall for the Colorado Symphony Orchestra's performance of, among other pieces, Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. The Colorado Chorus was featured too, and the whole thing was just amazing. There's something about 200 voices in perfect harmony that removes me from reality for a few minutes. Then afterwards we stopped by our friends Dorian, Jenny, and Alex's house to watch the big UFC event - Lesnar vs. Velasquez. I had just paid off the 29 cents I owed Dorian for losing a bet during the last UFC fight...and then promptly incurred the same debt when I picked the loser Saturday night. I don't know why we started betting 29 cents (I'm really not a big gambler) on the matches, but we do.

My whole point in all that is to say having a partner is great - I never would have started watching UFC fights were it not for Bryan. For that matter, I probably wouldn't have become such a loyal Broncos fan (sorry Dad); helped shovel a ton of river rock into, then back out of the back of a U-Haul; played one-on-one basketball at the park in the middle of a 100+ degree August day; attempted (key word being attempted) to do pull-ups; or learned how to back a boat into the water (which is really quite simple - back up and make sure to stop before your tailpipe gets flooded). I'm not sure what Bryan would insert here - maybe that were it not for me, he wouldn't know just how important having a different pair of shoes for each outfit is? Or that some people actually do sleep past 6:00 am when the alarm is off. Or that tears mean hug me and that washing the dishes means I'll hug you.

There's other good stuff too...the fact that there's someone else looking out for you. And that when a decision comes up, there's someone to make it with...someone who has the best interests of you as a couple at heart. Someone to make you smile...who can be strong when you're not. Who gets excited about upcoming adventures and laughs over good memories with you. Who feels your pain but reminds you of the truth regardless. Someone who helps you grow - not so much by telling you how to improve (although that does happen some:), but rather by engaging in situations where your weaknesses raise their ugly heads enough for you to identify them...and then loving you regardless while you work them out. Someone who holds your hand. Who supports you even when they don't completely understand. Who reminds you that you are valuable and special and needed. Really, just someone who's there...even when they're miles away, you know they're there - you can feel it.

I've been incredibly blessed to find most of those things in my family and a few friends throughout the years. Thank you - I hope I've told you all in some (however inadequate) way how much you have, and continue, to mean to me. But Bryan - you alone are responsible for the UFC part...and for that, and all the other things I just mentioned, I want to say thanks. You're asleep in Nashville right now, but thank you for being my husband. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment